Monday, June 23, 2008

Bluebird son takes her camping!

and lives to tell about it!  14 hours alone at our camping site with my son last week.  I promised myself I would focus on him -- no cell phone, no computer, no one and nothing but him.  I decided to do everything and anything he asked of me.  At home this usually includes a ride to his friend's house, pudding and lunch!  At camping, alone in the wilderness (with our fully outfitted trailer) it included the following hair raising and not for 40 year old women activities!

Climbing a log across a 20 foot raging creek! (okay not so raging but deep!)

hiking up and sliding down through overgrown bushes, spider and possibly snake infested "Dirt Hill"

Building a cross bow from tree branches

Making a fire and eating a hot dog (okay, turkey dog, but still!)

playing tic tac toe with branches in the dirt

watching the path of some very odd looking bugs

a dip into the creek when crossing the branch for the 5th time

mud-caked shoes, pants, crevices

At hour 14 when my husband and other kids had not yet returned to the trailer, I finally asked my son if we could do one thing Mommy wanted to do and he said yes.

So I asked if I could take a 20 minute nap, in the trailer, without the bugs, and he said okay but that he would be "bored."

I woke up a half an hour later to find my dirt covered son sound asleep next to me, dirty clothes, shoes, cross bow and all on the trailer bed.  He slept for another hour while I watched him amazed that he was more tired than I  . . .

and then we each had a Jello pudding snack.

No comments: