Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The year 1806 and my Christmas Spirit today!

I memorized the following poem by William Wordsworth when I was in high school. A couple of times over the years as I have gotten a little consumed with Christmas shopping or keeping up with the Joneses, this poem will pop into my head. Yesterday as I worked a full day, picked up a few last minute gifts and then baked 3 batches of cookies,made 5 Christmas casseroles and ended the day by running a load of laundry . . . there it was again! This poem, written in 1806, is as relevant if not more so, for us today. I was too tired to care too much last night, but this morning at the crack of dawn (literally) I rose up early to have a moment to just be, to just breathe, to remember who I am, what my goals are, what I love about my life . . . it felt so good. Now I feel a little more centered and as I return with a less hurried and more thankful heart to the work that is necessary for the season . . . I feel alive and well and filled with the spirit we all want to have for the holidays! If you like . . . please read and enjoy . . .

THE world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers:
Little we see in Nature that is ours;
We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!
The Sea that bares her bosom to the moon;
The winds that will be howling at all hours,
And are up-gathered now like sleeping flowers;
For this, for everything, we are out of tune;
It moves us not.--Great God! I'd rather be
A Pagan suckled in a creed outworn;
So might I, standing on this pleasant lea,
Have glimpses that would make me less forlorn;
Have sight of Proteus rising from the sea;
Or hear old Triton blow his wreathed horn.

William Wordsworth, 1806

No comments: