Wednesday, January 21, 2009

60 stories of falling glass

Today we made the final changes on the Small Business Marketing Survival Series “24 Hours to Zero Down Marketing” and the “Do it yourself Marketing & Social Media Strategy Series” training. Internet, Web and Online Social Media Communications Education for people who want to market, sell, connect, and compete online!

Before I can do one more thing I need to share the story of the day I decided to put all I know about marketing on to paper, or computer. What was it that urged me to immediately focus? 60 stories of falling glass! I want to share a life-changing story so you know why I think learning to use marketing and social media to promote your business is essential. It’s the reason I wrote this Small Business Marketing Survival Series.
I had no idea my life could end that day. It was autumn in New York, I had been there for 10 days and had spent practically every daylight hour holed up in my hotel room working for the army of clients I was representing there. I was making a lot of money but I was exhausted and I missed my family. Finally after completing my projects I had 6 hours to kill before I had to leave to catch my plane. I planned to spend those hours outside in the sun. The weather was perfect “autumn in Manhattan’-- crisp, colorful and brisk. I set off for Bryant Park, a slice of peace behind the New York Public Library, and walking from 59th I headed down 6th Avenue. A vendor beguiled me to buy a purse and then I picked up a banana at the next. This was more like it, I could finally relax, breathe even. As I stepped into a crosswalk with several other New Yorkers I heard a large resounding crack and looked up. Way up above us was what looked like be a giant piece of cardboard wafting down. I barely had time to think about why a large piece of cardboard would float down from the top of a huge skyscraper when a voice shouted in my head, “Run!” Still looking up I realized it wasn’t cardboard but a city-block-sized piece of glass falling from the building to our right and it was huge enough to crush all of us. (more later)

No comments: